The CleanFinancial.com guide to Apple Watch trading apps.
- Where to Get the Apple Watch Trading App?
- How to Download the New Apple Watch App
- Video of How the IG Apple Watch Trading App Works
- The Pros of the IG Apple Watch Trading App
- The Cons of the IG Apple Watch Trading App
When the Apple Watch (not iWatch!) was released on 9 March 2015 the financial markets were somewhat underwhelmed – see the live Apple stock chart.
But what about using the watch as a trading app for your spread betting, CFD, stock broking or binary trading?
IG have already brought out an app which has some interesting pros and cons.
Where to Get the Apple Watch Trading App?The selection seems fairly limited at the moment but we imagine that other brokers will soon bring out apps. At the moment, you can get an app with:
How to Download the New Apple Watch AppIG’s new app should automatically download to your Apple Watch if you already have their app on your iPhone.
The IG iPhone apps are normally free to download from the App Store.
Video of How the IG Apple Watch Trading App Works
The Pros of the IG Apple Watch Trading AppThe app has some good features, you can:
- Trade from your spread betting, CFD, stock broking and binary accounts
- View live prices
- Open and close trades
- See open positions
- Access your Market Watchlists
- View today’s economic calendar
- Use the 1 touch login – assuming you have your details saved on your iPhone
The Cons of the IG Apple Watch Trading App
This isn’t IG’s fault, they are one of the few firms to have brought out an Apple Watch trading app. Kudos to them.
The issues are naturally to do with the technical and size limitation of the phone:
- No charts
- No adding / removing / updating Stop or Limit Orders – this is particularly poor if you don’t have a spread betting / CFD account with automatic Stop orders
- 18 hour battery life (on a good day)
- You still need an iPhone for the Watch app to work
- If either your iPhone or Apple Watch battery dies then you can’t use the Apple Watch app
However I can see some people liking it and it won’t be long before IG, and other brokers, improve the experience. (they can only guess at the moment and will need extensive user feedback to make a good app).
Apple, the Apple logo, Apple Watch, iPad, and iPhone are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.
Spread betting and CFD trading carry a high level of risk to your capital and you may lose more than your initial investment. Spread betting and CFD trading may not be suitable for all investors. Only speculate with money that you can afford to lose. Please ensure you fully understand the risks involved and seek independent financial advice where necessary.